[CAUT] Hammer Alignment

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Mar 27 20:13:13 MST 2006

One other thought.  Which direction to they tend to gravitate to and is it
opposite to the way you generally spin them onto the shank?  Do the bass and
lower tenor definitely not twist or might the twist be obscured by the
angled hammers somewhat?  I think you should try this experiment:  Put on a
set of hammers (or a section) by spinning them on (always in the same
direction) and put a set on by pressing them into position without spinning.
I wonder if there isn't something about spinning the hammers onto the shank
(especially with hide glue as it tends to thicken as you are spinning) that
might not contribute to eventual creep back in the opposite direction of the
spinning.  I don't find this kind of twisting and I do use hide glue, but I
also press the hammer onto the shank rather than twist or spin it on.  Just
a thought

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net