[CAUT] Hammer wear

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Thu Mar 30 11:45:29 MST 2006

I've been happy with the voicing stability with the Wurzens but I've
only had them for this school year.  I can generally tell without even
going in a practice room if a piano is getting too bright. The students
tend to take the music desk off, close the short lid and put the music
desk on the short lid.  We just got a $500,000 donation to redo all of
our practice rooms this summer to reduce sound transfer from room to
room and to make the rooms acoustically better (better air flow and
climate control too.)  It will be interesting to see how that will
change the perception of voicing in those little rooms.  It's going to
make for a chaotic summer though!

dp

David M. Porritt

dporritt at smu.edu