[CAUT] hammer burning experiment

Wimblees at aol.com Wimblees at aol.com
Fri Mar 31 09:11:24 MST 2006

Someone asked if I could do an experiment of my burning technique to see if
the hammer was moving or the shank. I've got a box full of old Steinway S
hammers glued to shanks, (They are not genuine Steinway parts), on which I did
the experiment. I scribed a line across the shank and the hammer, and using my
Weller heat gun, heated the hammer, and bent it off center, the way  I
normally burn a hammer. Guess what. The hammer did not move. The  shank turned. So
all this time I thought I was loosening the glue joint,  when I was in fact, I
bening the wood.

As I said, I heat the shank at the hammer. The question I have is,  where do
you guys heat the shank? How far from the hammer?

Wim