[CAUT] hammer burning experiment

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Fri Mar 31 09:49:33 MST 2006

>As I said, I heat the shank at the hammer. The question I have is,  where do
>you guys heat the shank? How far from the hammer?

I heat with an alcohol lamp and wave the flame under the length of the shank
while holding/rotating the hammer in the corrected direction until the shank
heats up enough to feel it 'give'.  Hold the hammer for a few seconds longer
with no flame to set.  I was instructed not to concentrate the heat
on one spot.

This was the way I was shown 35 years ago and have done it ever since.
Frank Kast from DC was my mentor as an apprentice in a rebuilding shop.
Warping a twist in the wood with heat and holding it to set.

Usually anything which is off 2 degrees or more is reset rather than burned-in.
--

Regards,

Jon Page