[CAUT] Bass bridge removal

Mark Cramer Cramer at BrandonU.ca
Tue May 2 09:17:20 MDT 2006

Hi Bob,

I think the b.bridge will come off quite easily for you.

Remove the screws, make a couple index marks topside, then use your "shop"
chisel (laid upside-down) to gently part the glue joint all the way round.

Now you can try some gentle rocking/prying to see what happens.

If some gaps open up, you can use wedges (such as the "shop" chisel) to add
tension, then gently pry the bridge some more.

It's kind of like snapping out the last corner of a pinblock, if you just
force it, you'll end up taking alot more wood than you intended, but if you
increase tension slowly and let it do the job for you, the glue joint
usually seperates fairly clean.

I've never had great success with the the soak and heat method, but rarely
had more than a few slivers of soundboard come off with the bridge, dry. And
these slivers tend to be useful in relocating the bridge anyhow.

Nonetheless, as Susan Kline says, "the results are yours to keep!" ;>)

Without getting into "why" this crack occurs in this particular place,
suffice it to say repairing the crack will be much easier/faster with the
b.bridge off. And it glues back on in minutes.

best regards,
Mark Cramer,
Brandon University