[CAUT] Touch ups.. (and I ain't talking about makeup)

Alan McCoy amccoy at mail.ewu.edu
Mon May 8 13:59:18 MDT 2006

Hi Michelle,

Ditto lots of these comments. Earplugs do help you focus on the task at hand
as well as protect your ears. I use Westone plugs with 9 dB filters.

But it is an impossible situation. It is definitely possible to make an
improvement, but it is equally possible to make things a bit worse than they
were before you walked on the stage (to steal the spotlight, geez Dennis,
you must be kidding!!).

I only go out if the artist's contract requires it or if I am otherwise
asked to. Our orchestra usually schedules the concerto in one half or the
other, but not both. I go to lots of performances, by choice, and I have
adopted the "what will be, will be" approach. These days I'm less concerned
with unisons going out, than the voice. I have the luxury of tuning and
voicing these instruments (at school and for the orchestra) often so unisons
are normally very solid but the voice does change amazingly fast. Also
listen for zings to attend to next time.

Alan

-- Alan McCoy, RPT
Eastern Washington University
amccoy at mail.ewu.edu