[CAUT] Dollies and projection (was Hamburg leg bolt)

Ken Zahringer ZahringerK at missouri.edu
Tue May 9 11:13:24 MDT 2006

It is my understanding that a piano projects better when there is NOT solid
contact with the floor, in a manner of speaking.

One of the more dramatic demonstrations I have seen was at convention some
years back, at Wally Brooks' all-day class.  Near the end of the day, after
showing his voicing techniques, he had the piano sounding nice.  Then he put
it on caster cups, and it sounded great.  His explanation: we all know that
the entire piano resonates, not just the soundboard.  The carpet in the
hotel classroom "damped" the leg, preventing it from vibrating freely.  The
caster cup, being a hard surface, let the caster roll a bit, and thus let
the leg, and I suppose the case as well a little bit, vibrate more freely.
That is the real reason for casters - not for moving the piano, but to
"uncouple" it from the floor and let the whole thing resonate.  The reason,
then, that a spider compromises the sound isn't that the leg is off the
floor, but that the leg is stuck in the spider leg plate and can't move.

I don't know of any research directed at this issue, but it makes sense to
me.

For what it's worth,
Ken Z.

--