[CAUT] Was caut Digest, Vol 1090, Issue 3; now funding

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Thu Sep 21 11:53:01 MDT 2006

Excellent, Alan!

JB

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Alan McCoy
Sent: Wednesday, September 20, 2006 12:50 PM
To: College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>
Subject: [CAUT] Was caut Digest, Vol 1090, Issue 3; now funding

Hey Paul, et al,

Starting about 2 years ago I began the process of finding funding for
our
program. There has never been a budget for maintenance, rebuilding, or
replacement at this university. I created a spreadsheet of our piano
inventory, a powerpoint presentation to our faculty etc etc. I got lots
of
positive comments but no action. It percolated. Then I got an important
brainstorm - I need to increase the number of stakeholders. It occurred
me that we have a large inventory of instruments, not just pianos. I
contacted all the faculty departments and compiled a complete inventory
of
our instruments into my spreadsheet. Made another presentation to the
faculty. The whole room lit up. The homework was done. The chair took it
the dean. It was a no-brainer. Dean took it to provost. Then to the
president. Board approved this past summer. All classes taught by the
music
department will beginning this fall have an"instrument fee" of $15. That
will generate about $32,000 a year for us depending on the number of
students taking music classes, and the lions share of that will go to
pianos.

The lessons for me are:

1. Do the legwork and the homework and develop the foundation to support
your case.
2. Increase the stakeholders. Ownership is the locomotive and the grease
for
the wheels.
3.  Present it to the faculty and make a compelling case. Make it a
no-brainer.
4. Enjoy living, including your time at the university. Be positive.
Have
fun. Whining is off-putting, counter-productive and contagious.

Alan

PS. I have supporting docs - like spreadsheet - that you can use as a
template if you care to. Email privately.