[CAUT] Bushing cloth thickness

Mark Cramer Cramer at BrandonU.ca
Wed Aug 1 16:02:10 MDT 2007

Perhaps the difference in the cloth Ed, is because the key-bushings are getting a "permafree" treatment at the factory?

As for the "knockier" quality imparted to the felt by compressing the fit and/or ironing, we find this a very liveable trade-off for the closer tolerance of fit. (very much like the um... er... "Faustian" decision to return to leather)

In actual playing, the less sideplay, the less discernable the "knock," if any at all.

The odd time we have ended up with a loose initial fit, and tried the bushings "un-ironed" as a test.

However, when the bushing rides the pin down, much like normal playing conditions, even on a polished/Pro-lubed pin, there is a definite sensation of the fuzzy un-finished felt, and I don't like it!

Moreso IMHO, at the front-rail, than at the balance pin. (again JMHO)

BTW Ed, despite my reference to impromptu manicure, I seriously would like to know what "grit" you use/recommend on the drum-sander for leather-sizing.

You too Jim (and others), what grit do you suggest? (I'm not taking it too personal, but BYU is still bouncing my e-mails... guess I could always use the phone eh, I mean "huh?" :>)

thanks,
Mark Cramer,
Brandon University