[CAUT] Bushing cloth thickness

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Aug 1 18:11:00 MDT 2007

On 8/1/07 1:26 PM, "A440A at aol.com" <A440A at aol.com> wrote:

>> Fred writes:
>>
>> Pianotek sells Hainesworth cloth, same felt that Steinway and Renner use to
>> the best of my knowledge (both did last I asked). If there is any other
>> quality bushing felt out there available to us techs, I¹d like to know about
>> it
>
> I have to say that the Pianotek cloth does not look or feel the same as the
> Steinway stock.   The factory cloth is much stiffer, and the appearance is
> certainly not the same.   There is more fuzz on the Pianotek cloth and the nap
> feels softer.
> Regards,
>
> Ed Foote RPT
Maybe Steinway has different specs that Hainesworth meets. But Pianotek¹s
seems much like Renner¹s, Spurlock¹s and Schaff¹s to my eye and feel
(Charles House and Hainesworth were somewhat different when Charles House
was available). All the recent felt is less dense than what we got when
³extra-quality² first became available, but it is available in much more
variety of size, which is great. I thought the earlier cloth was too firm,
and the current is a little spongy. But considering the fragile nature of
the piano cloth segment of textiles, I am grateful for what we have.
Fred