[CAUT] Black on Black... (Jack alignment)

Ted Sambell edward.sambell at sympatico.ca
Tue Aug 7 21:57:18 MDT 2007

Hi Jim,

I have used it quite often. It's a bit strange at first because one leaves all the hammers dow to secure the strip in place, except the one being worked on. It is, as you say, essentially the same idea as the thread the Nice uses. Would it not be an idea for Kawai to fill in the lines on the edges of the window with white? The method Michael Wathen uses is good, much the same as the traditional practise, which is to line up the jacks first, assuming the the knuckles are lined up straight, then holding down each shank in turrn and striking the key with a few solid blows. This is done after setting the lever heights. I prefer to do all this on the bench, but have often done the same as Michael.There's usually nowhere to put the action in a home. The idea of adjusting the jacks till they malfunction and using this as a reference point, can also be applied to let-off. I have taught a few blind techs to do this in a grand by turning up the let-off buttons still the hammers just block nder a soft blow, then backing off a half turn. Function should always come first before arbitrary measurements. For lever height, the only true critirion is that the jack returns all the way under the knuckle, though  again, one can get there  more quickly by lowering the lever until the jack abrades too hard, then backing off . I'm sure you know all this anyway.

Regards, Ted