[CAUT] Black on Black... (Jack alignment)

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Aug 9 14:12:22 MDT 2007

	Yes, I agree, a .5 mm difference in alignment (one jack that much
farther forward than its neighbors, for example) is readily
noticeable to a sensitive pianist (and that is the pianist we cauts
are working for, or so I like to believe when I'm not in a cynical
mood <G>). As is a difference in setup of all jacks of the same
dimension. One of my piano profs recently complained about "lack of
positive feel" on her piano. What had I done? Adjusted the jacks
forward a bare smidgen, thinking it was too much resistance (letoff
was too noticeable). I moved them back. She's happy.
	Now your everyday amateur probably won't notice that difference. And
it only really shows up when everything is pretty well refined. But
"everything being pretty well refined" is a function of obsessive
attention to many details, of which this is just one. The total
effect is VERY noticeable to just about anyone who can play a piano.
So I don't like to take the attitude that something is "good enough
for the average bloke." It's not that much harder to get every single
unison dead on and solid on every single piano, to give a different
example. And the total effect of that is very noticeable also.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu