[CAUT] Steinway Upright tuning

Jim Harvey harvey.pianotech at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 12:08:06 MDT 2007

Congrats on your RPT status, Joe.

No doubt everyone on this list has a minimum of one story about these units.
I know several from various colleagues, but will only share mine at the
moment.

The late George Defebaugh once asked me about my tuning abilities; iow,
whether I felt confident and comfortable with tuning. I admitted that
generally, yes, I felt I had reached a certain plateau in my skills for the
time I'd been in the business. I then thought for a moment, and confessed
that there was one piano where I didn't like the results (tuners are often
their own worst critics), and figured that since it was the last call of the
day, I must either be fatigued or was just doing something wrong. That was
the only piano that I intentionally didn't charge for the tuning. I felt I
didn't deserve to be paid. [Free tunings and getting paid are for another
day.] Guess what piano it was?

When George heard this, he chuckled and said, "In that case, don't worry
about it -- nobody can tune those to any degree of satisfaction". He also
advised me to always charge for my work!

In keeping with the other responses so far, I was an RPT at the time (or
whatever we were known as that week), tune verticals left-handed, and
observe Lew Herwig's "bottom of the hole" method for tuning verticals. I
also knew about "flag-poling", bridge roll, and other phenomena. The
combination of knowing about and/practicing certain methods didn't help.
Funny thing is, -as- I was tuning, my tests and checks were working out. The
finished product was dog--meat.

I feel that today I could do... better, but in the 30-plus years since the
above scenario, I've never had the [opportunity] to find out. Sometimes life
cuts you a break.

If there's any real help in this reply, it's to not let the anomalies of one
piano/scale get to you, especially to the point of discouraging your
continued growth and learning curve.

Okay, one more thrid-person story. You took a break -- this guy spent four
hours, then came back the next day before giving up. We're not only our own
worst critics, sometimes we're our own worst enemies!

--
Jim Harvey, RPT
<harvey.pianotech at gmail.com>