[CAUT] Dead (New) bass strings

Wimblees at aol.com Wimblees at aol.com
Thu Aug 16 16:25:02 MDT 2007

In a message dated 8/16/07 9:23:46 A.M. Hawaiian Standard Time,
jim_busby at byu.edu writes:

List,
While trying to save some bucks I  used an old (10 years?) set of bass
strings for a D. They were still coiled  and wrapped in plastic. About ½ of them
were dead! Sooo… I have another spare  set (About 4 years old) hanging straight
on some hooks for emergency repairs.  The trichords were also dead, for the
most part. Rolled or straight, wrapped  or in open air, it doesn’t seem to
matter.
I don’t get it. How can bass  strings go dead in storage? And, why? There was
a thread on this months ago,  but it seems totally bizarre to me that this
could happen. I’ve been told to  ALWAYS order a fresh set.
I guess a penny saved is a  penny wasted.
Jim Busby  BYU

Jim

Although you are in a relatively dry climate, I wonder if having the  strings
wrapped in plastic could have actually cause them to become  dead, because
the plastic would prevent any moisture that was in the  package, which came from
Mapes in Tennessee, (lots of humidity), to  escape.  Were the ones you had
hanging out of the plastic, or bare? If  they were bare, i don't know why they
would be dead.

Back in St. Louis I would carry several sets of universals in my car. Some
of them would be in there for 3 or 4 years before I would have a chance to use
them, and they would be dead. I could see the tarnish in the copper. I
suspect  that with the high humidity they would get a little moist, even though they
were  packed in a box and wrapped in paper.

Just my take on the subject.

Willem (Wim)  Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
Honolulu,  Hawaii