[CAUT] disabling individual notes

Wimblees at aol.com Wimblees at aol.com
Thu Aug 16 16:15:37 MDT 2007

In a message dated 8/16/07 10:32:33 A.M. Hawaiian Standard Time,
jtanner at mozart.sc.edu writes:

On Aug 15, 2007, at 7:35 PM, Thomas Seay wrote:

Why would you need to pull the stack?

Just use the same procedure you use for setting key dip, i.e., lift  the
front of the key up and slip the extra cloth punching over the pin,  being careful
not to lift too high. In my view, that is the fastest way to  do it.

Tom

I've never been able to make that work without feeling like I was
compromising the stability of the paper or card punching.  When you cut  the paper
punching, and put creases in it bending it around the keypin, it  seems to me to
make the regulation unreliable.  So, I've always done it  the old fashioned way
with the stack off.

Aren't we talking about the front rail punchings? I don't think lifting up
the front of the key to be able to take out the felt punchings and insert
cardboard or paper punchings will make the regulation unreliable. We're  only
lifting the front of the key less than an inch. This is the way I  correct keydip
and aftertouch, in the piano.

I do agree with Jeff about cutting the paper punchings, especially for the
balance rail. I never did like that idea, and for me it is too difficult to
reach under the keyframe to insert them under the keys.

Willem (Wim)  Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
Honolulu,  Hawaii