[CAUT] Steinway Upright tuning

Ted Sambell edward.sambell at sympatico.ca
Sat Aug 18 07:39:06 MDT 2007

Hello Don,

Thank you for your observations. I had begun to think I was all alone, and
the only one to have had pinblocks pull apart on these beasts, and perhaps
in some unfathonable way it was my fault. Your colouful comment on the tone
is well taken; all of these were quite unpleasant sounding and rife with
false beats. It mystifies me when I hear of technicians who praise them, but
perhaps they are fortunate enough to encounter exceptions. Or it may be the
later ones were improved. Franz Mohr told me once that he hated uprights. As
a Steinway man perhaps he was only talking of Steinway uprights, in which
case I would concur. I have  never seen recent Hamburg specimens, and wonder
what they are like.The old ones were great, as were the Americans, despite
their quirky actions. Jim Busby and  Vince Myrkralo's modifications sound
wonderful; I would love to see  this work.

Ted Sambell.