[CAUT] Steinway Upright tuning

Don pianotuna at accesscomm.ca
Fri Aug 17 01:21:59 MDT 2007

Hi Ted,

I don't get to see many Steinway products--but of the 4 small uprights I've
serviced over the years 3 had pinblock separations. The one that was not
separated had all the tone quality of a cardboard box with strings. As I'm
an impact style tuner (thank you Dr. Coleman) I never found tuning them
much of a chore. The chore for me was telling the client that their prized
possesion was quite ill.

At 04:47 PM 8/16/2007 -0400, you wrote:

>In 1972, the university Faculty of Music I worked for  bought a number =
>of these, and within a few years each and every one of them had the =
>pinblock separate in the bass. I am puzzled because nobody else seems to =
>have had this experience, possibly because of changes to more recent =
>models. The design deficiences were so obvious as to make one wonder =
>what kind of tinkeres were responsible. Overall, these were truly dismal =
>examples of the piano makers' art.
>
>Ted Sambell

3004 Grant Rd. REGINA, SK, S4S 5G7
306-539-0716 or 1-888-29t-uner