[CAUT] Back duplex tuning

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Aug 19 14:22:59 MDT 2007

Hi folks.  Been a very long summer with lots of great experiences.
Among them a week long seminar at Oberlin where I got to see first hand
how well some of the criticisms about NY S&S hold up.... but thats
another discussion entirely.

Just before the summer I decided to start testing some of the claims
about how useless the idea of the back duplex ala S&S stood up to
reality.  One of the major beefs is that the back length once tuned wont
stay tuned.  I found this an interesting claim when put aside other
comments in other threads about the amounts of friction the bridge pins
present.  In any case... after the summer I've had a chance too look
pretty closely at 4 instruments (3 D's and a C) that I'd tuned the back
lengths in the late spring.  Seen as unisons.... the back lengths hold
their tuning far better then the speaking lengths do thats for sure.  I
didn't measure pitch on back lengths, but I did tune them so that their
unisons were very clean and just sharp of the <theoretical> correct.  (I
just had this hunch for some reason that slightly more tension on the
back lengths then front lengths was a good idea to start with).

After tuning all four this fall I can observe that the back lengths are
all pretty much where I left them this spring.  Slightly sharp of their
theoreticals and nearly all the back length unisons are still very
clean.  Seems to me that tho this is a very limited test... the claim
that the back lengths wont stay tuned is well overstated.  Of course
they will become out of tune in time... but then the speaking lengths do
too and that doesn't seem to bother anyone.  They are not too awfully
time consuming to tune to any given spec either.   So I come up with the
following three points about the back duplex scale

1... it is easy to tune really.
2... it is remarkably stable compared to the speaking lengths.
3... when they do go out of tune.... then hey... just like the speaking
lengths one should just re-tune.

I wont get into weather there is some acoustic benefit to doing so just
yet.  I suspect in the end there is, but thats another discussion as well.

Cheers

RicB