[CAUT] Getting paid for non-university events

Ken Zahringer ZahringerK at missouri.edu
Mon Aug 20 16:57:22 MDT 2007

Hey, Rob,

When I started here, we discussed whether it would be better for me to bill
directly for on-campus, non-School of Music events or use the internal
payments system.  We decided it would be more convenient for all concerned
to use the internal payment system.  Here¹s how it works:  Any time I tune
for an on-campus, non-SoM event, I take a little form with me. I have
attached a copy of that form.  When I am finished, I go to the financial
officer for the office in question and have them fill out some accounting
information (the ³MO Code² and ³PS Account² blanks) and sign.  I then take
the form back to our financial officer and she generates the payment (that¹s
the ³IOF² ­ I have no idea what that stands for).  She then adds that onto
my paycheck as overtime, with a little bit deducted for benefits and the
employer¹s portion of Social Security ­ payments I would have to make anyway
if I were doing the billing.  It¹s actually pretty simple, since nearly all
the events in question are either University Concert Series or Alumni Center
events.  In three years I think I¹ve had two events that were something
else.  Of course, the thing that made it work is that this was all preceded
by a letter from the Director of the School of Music to all concerned
parties explaining how all this was going to work.

You need to light a fire under these bozos and do a little educating.
Mostly the chair needs to stand up on his hind legs and take care of his
people.  Maybe a letter from an attorney wouldn¹t be a bad idea.  Refusing
to do outside work until the matter is resolved might be a good
attention-getting device, too.  Personally, I wouldn¹t give a furry rat¹s
backside if I got labeled a troublemaker if they owed me that much money.
But that¹s just me.

Good luck,
Ken Z.

--