[CAUT] Getting paid for non-university events

johnsond johnsond at stolaf.edu
Tue Aug 21 07:08:24 MDT 2007

Rob-

That has been an issue here for years as well.  For a long time I said
nothing, but gradually the extra load becomes so much that it conflicts
with the priority business of the department.  That was about 2 years
ago when our chair finally implemented a new policy of charging these
events for both tuning and rental, and invoices were printed up.  The
catch is that money collected from this new policy will be held in a
special account for my later use to contract tuning help back to the
department. The logic is that in this way the department can be
reimbursed for my time taken by outside events.  If these events request
tuning during an especially busy time when I can not be available, then
can hire my recommended help directly.  This seems to work better than
trying to charge personally for the time, since the reality is that
ultimately my time does get taken away from the department for these
special requests.  Once people realize that the proceeds are going back
to help the department, no one seems to object. I'd rather keep my
outside private work on outside private pianos anyway. The interesting
bit is that now that the policy has been in effect, there has been a
noticeable decline in extra tuning requests- which is fine with me.  One
of those significant extra events we have here all summer long are
weddings and conferences.  The rest of the good story is that now that
there is a special fund set up aside from my usual parts budget to hire
help as needed, they found money from somewhere to jump start the
process and get the needed help coming sooner.  Naturally we will be
fine tuning the system, but so far- much better.

good luck,

dennis.
St. Olaf