[CAUT] Plate refinishing

Greg Granoff gjg2 at humboldt.edu
Mon Aug 20 17:00:29 MDT 2007

Hi Alan,
I've never seen any discussion about this, but myself, I do this from time
to time and prefer a fairly powders-heavy mixture.  I keep the lacquer
mixture fairly thin as well; in this way I'm looking for a thoroughly
covered, no shadows color coat that is also thin--i.e. with little
appreciable surface buildup. I follow with a couple or 3 more normally
thinned clear coats to get the buildup and sheen I want, stopping short of
the very last coat to do a very light fine sanding or even just a fine steel
wooling for smoothness, then any lettering, then a final well flowed clear
coat.
I would guess my bronzing lacquer mixture is maybe something like a well
rounded tablespoon of bronzing powder to each 16 ounces of thinned lacquer.
I've never bothered to measure since I tend to do this stuff by feel, but
ultimately you can figure it out by doing test pieces.  If you get good
color coverage with just a couple or 3 passes of the gun, and the coating
"lays out" without being dry or lumpy looking, you've probably got a good
mixture.  If you have to do many passes of the gun to end the "see through"
look you don't have enough powder; if it covers completely in one pass and
looks sandy and dry, you've got too much.
BTW, I also like to use "pre-catalyzed" lacquer for a little extra hardness.

Greg Granoff