[CAUT] disabling individual noes

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Mon Aug 20 17:19:10 MDT 2007

Your results may vary. I tried this on my Baldwin M at home before
writing my original post, and it worked (didn't work) fine: key up
and down, no hammer striking string. After reading Jon's post, I
tried it on a Steinway B at UNM, and the backcheck jammed on the
hammer tail immediately. So the check had to be adjusted back for it
to work. Then I tried a note on a Yamaha G-2, and it worked fine, but
on a piano (as in soft, not forte) keystroke, the hammer would play.
The rep spring was too strong.
	Anyway, at a place like Cal Arts, it might be a worthwhile thing to
know how to do, and to go to a bit of trouble to "get it right."  For
the rest of us, probably not.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico