[CAUT] SAT numbers

Keith Roberts keithspiano at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 08:40:32 MDT 2007

My experience with the high strech numbers was that you had to check the A
stretch number. It has the most effect on the curve. The high bass number
will pull the center wide but you need it on them short fat bass
strings. The check I started using was to measure the stretch and then tune
A3, A4. Tune A3 last and hit the tune button. The tuner reads the note it
was listening to, A5, and so the lights should still be stopped when you
play A3. Play A4 and stop the lights using the cents+- and calculate the
difference between the two readings. It sould be between .5 cents and .75
cents. Adjust the A stretch number until the difference between the 4th
partial of A3, (A5), and the 2nd partial of A4, (A5) fits this requirement.
Listen to the Third tenth test and it will confirm. I usually will then tune
the D4 and E4 to compare two 4ths and two 5ths to see if the chord structure
is right with the 3-2 ratio and no wildly beating 4ths. Fine adjust the A.
If you still don't like the sound, measure the difference in the 6-3
partial, might be the problem.

Keith Roberts