[CAUT] SAT numbers

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Mon Aug 20 08:03:27 MDT 2007

Hi Avery,
	Yes, it was I. I generally defaulted to an 8 - 10 F number when it
was higher as read (I now use RCT).
	I came to believe, based on things I had read and conversations I
had had (which I'm afraid are hazy at this point) that Al Sanderson
had made a change to the FAC calculations to give more stretch to the
bass, in response to criticism by people using the SAT for concert
tuning. And I came to the conclusion that it was a "patch" that
didn't actually make any sense for pianos with an inharmonicity
profile that happened to have a plain wire, low tension F3. (Note
that the Hamilton 243 and the various flavors of Acrosonic are
essentially the same scale, somewhat foreshortened. But the smaller
Acrosonics happen to have wound strings for F3. Why should there be
that much difference in their tuning?)
	In analyzing the numbers, I simply couldn't come up with a reason
for the portion of the tuning produced by the F number (it affects
the bottom 2 1/2 octaves, and only to a certain extent). It would
make some sense if, say, F3 were taken as the 6th partial of A#0
(extrapolate the 1st partial of F3, and use it to create a curve as
the next to lowest of the 6th partials tuned). But it sure didn't
seem to work that way. So I just started doing the default thing, and
found that the curve produced worked quite well most of the time (I
had found that with those larger numbers, I was constantly needing to
intervene and narrow the octaves).
	I also always tuned the bass downwards (never started at A0) so that
I would know what was happening and be able to intervene. The
simplest way of "keeping and eye on things" was to play the notes a
5th and an octave above the note to be tuned (from time to time, no
necessarily every single one), which would tell you how wide or
narrow the 6:3 octave and the 6:4 5th would be (before tuning the
note itself - meaning its 6th partial). If the 6:3 was going to be
significantly wide (lights rotating sharp more than a bit), I'd
change the setting until, as I recall, the octave above made the
lights rotate just sharp, while the 5th made them rotate just flat.
And then, of course, the ear decided if the note was "right" once
tuned (keeping in mind that "right" is a vague notion on many of
these beasts, with lots of conflicting reasons to go one direction or
the other).
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico