[CAUT] Long term grand storage

Wimblees at aol.com Wimblees at aol.com
Mon Aug 27 19:29:19 MDT 2007

In a message dated 8/27/07 1:35:35 P.M. Hawaiian Standard Time,
jajones2 at wisc.edu writes:

All,

Anyone have any experience with any bad results from long  term
storage of a grand on it's side??   My situation is a grand  that is
new, but has been in storage 2 years and will likely remain  there
another 3 or more.

I'm wondering what happens to the felt  bushings?
Is there any relief  for the weight of the hammer on there  bushings?
Does anyone have any results of damage caused by this length of  storage?

Thanks in advance for your experiences.

Joel
Joel  Jones, RPT
Madison, WI

Joel

When I had a store in St. Louis, some of the new grands I got had been
sitting in the warehouse in Elizabethtown for several years. When they were
unpacked, the actions worked fine.

The main concern of a piano in storage is not with the action, but the
effects on the finish of the side of the piano. Is the piano sitting not only on
blankets, but on a skid board or pallet of some sort? In other words, not
directly on a concrete floor, even on a blanket.

Wim