[CAUT] Scientific study - Stainless wire (Help!)

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Aug 28 15:47:30 MDT 2007

Hi Jim,
	Here are some thoughts for experiments:
1) Dealing with (quantifying) the difference you have noticed in how
fast the strings become stable. Create a jig that replicates a
piano's hitch pin, bridge, and offset between capo and aliquot, and
tuning pins, but without any wood involved (no bridgecap crushing and
whatnot). Bridge should be metal, but with pins angled like standard.
Tuning pin should be Wegman style or similar (Challis made phenolytic
inserts for the tuning pins of his aluminum soundboard harpsichords,
inserts that went into thick plate webbing holes, and gave a good
even friction).
	Set up parallel unisons of pure sound and standard wire. Do them
very carefully in terms of how the wire is installed. I think they
would need to be standard around the hitchpin strings (two sounding
strings, two tuning pins) rather than with tails, to eliminate tail
movement. Make that around the hitch bend with a jig similar to a
wire bending pliers, that presses the wire into the right shape (so
it can be done consistently with each kind of wire), then cut to
length and probably make the coils on the already installed tuning
pins. Pull to a standard pitch (for the length and diameter of wire),
same for both types of wire. Try to pull just to a target pitch,
without any overshot, pulling each tuning pin alternately and evenly
(avoid pulling wire around the hitch). And wait. Note pitch after 1
hour, 4, 8, 24, 48, a week, a month, 4 months, a year. Temperature
controlled facility. This might also answer some of our questions
about "wire stretching" that recently came up on the list.
	A supplementary experiment with the same setup could have strings
being brought back to pitch at some interval of time, with careful
records being kept.
	A sub experiment could have some wire massaging involved, in a
controlled way. Controlled how? They would need to come up with a way
of doing it in a consistent and measured way. And maybe with an
overshot tuning (50 - 100 cents sharp), seeing how that affects
eventual stability.
	It would be interesting to look at each wire at the end of a period
of time, to see how much it had "permanently" conformed to the
various offsets - around bridge pins, past capo - just due to time
and tension. Take them off carefully, lay them down on the bench, and
compare bends.
2) Malleability of wire. How does it conform/deform? IOW, how much of
it is "bendy flexibility" that goes away after tension is removed,
and how much is permanent deforming. Again, using jigs similar to a
wire bending pliers (two pieces that press together to create a
defined bend), do various shapes of bend. Then release the wire from
the jig and see to what extent the shape holds.
	Go from gradual to sharper profiles. Find the point at which there
is significant weakening (maybe using microscopic analysis). Vary
from a gradual bend (gradual in time, over several seconds) to a
sudden one (a jerk, a hammer blow) and see what differences there are.
	One thing that I wonder about is leveling strings. What techniques
work with pure sound? What should be avoided? The above could shed
some light on that question, as well as on how to treat the wire
while stringing in general.
3) Affect of temperature on pitch: any difference? (This would be
affected by the exact scaling involved, so be sure to compare high
tension pure sound and standard of equal length and diameter).
4) Affect of humidity change on pitch change of strung piano -
unfortunately individual pianos of the same model vary somewhat. I
don't know an easy way to get around that. Maybe string a piano with
every other unison alternating wires (two unisons of one, then two of
the other, to have even stringing without tails).
5) Difference in tonal spectrum: you probably need to take a single
piano and alternate types of string somewhat as above to get reliable
results, so the overall structure and materials of the piano isn't a
factor (rather than side by side same model). Or do a spectrum
analysis of a note, change the stringing on that note, do a second
analysis.
	One of the major problems with this kind of analysis is getting even
ranges of key/hammer blows. Someone really needs to design a devise
for this purpose. I guess a solenoid driven player-style unit could
be used, with a good controller. A mechanical devise that acts on the
keytop from above would be better and more useful, IMO. But it needs
to be capable of doing rapid acceleration from the keytop, not a
dropped weight that hits the key after a fall (as in the tuning exam
thumper). Something with interconnected levers and moveable weights
would work, I think, something like a piano action in reverse, with
the hammer as a weight, and the wipp heel or sticker bottom on the
key. Weight could be added to the hammer, and moved in or out along
the shank (or a simplified equivalent).

	A little food for thought.
Regards,
Fred Sturm