[CAUT] Pitch recognition

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Aug 29 20:39:04 MDT 2007

Thanks for the reference, Ed. It contains some interesting stuff, but limits
itself to the rather crude ³recognition of a named pitch² as in ³This note
is C, this is C#² rather than the finer distinctions we have been talking
about. I guess a study to focus on those fine distinctions would have to go
to a great deal of trouble in identifying and recruiting subjects, rather
than the broadband approach of this study. Those who know 440 from 442 and
the like are a small subset of a small subset.
    A couple interesting conclusions in the study:
³either you have it or you don¹t², meaning there isn¹t a spectrum of people
who are ³close but no cigar.²
G# and A# tend to be misidentified as A more often than any other notes are
misidentified.
And the thing about age causing perception to go sharp (to identify notes as
sharp of where they are when older).
    Quite a morass of jargon to wade through. Why can¹t academics learn to
write clearly?
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico