[CAUT] Pitch recognition

Phil Bondi phil at philbondi.com
Thu Aug 30 06:06:19 MDT 2007

Fred Sturm wrote:
> Thanks for the reference, Ed. It contains some interesting stuff, but
> limits itself to the rather crude “recognition of a named pitch” as in
> “This note is C, this is C#” rather than the finer distinctions we have
> been talking about. I guess a study to focus on those fine distinctions
> would have to go to a great deal of trouble in identifying and
> recruiting subjects, rather than the broadband approach of this study.
> Those who know 440 from 442 and the like are a small subset of a small
> subset.

Fred - excellent observation. The test was
'easy'  for me, and you're right..it does not
answer the question presented here in this forum.

A subset of a subset would be a difficult find.
I will offer my self to any one or group wishing
to test a tighter parameter. I think it would be
fun, and open some eyes and minds.

-Phil Bondi(Fl)

PS - Please don't get the idea that I think my
ability is superior to anyone else's. These
types of test are usually fairly easy..dealing
with singular tones. 3 and 4-note chord
structures - note clusters - are far more
challenging, but again, does not answer the
question brought forward here.