[CAUT] 1/4 tone piano conversion

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Dec 3 09:01:55 MST 2007

> Caut Listmembers,
> I have a request from the composer in residence here to convert a
> Baldwin upright school-piano (late 70s early 80s vintage) into a
> quarter-tone piano.  He suggested keeping C4 at standard pitch.  I
> explained the need for rescaling and he still really wants the entire
> piano permanently converted.
>
> Has anyone done this?  Are there string-scale people out there willing
> to take re-scaling this on?  Has anyone programmed an ETD to do this
> (sorry I only do ET & WT(s) aurally).  I have a Verituner; has anyone
> programmed it for 1/4 tone tunings?
>
> Andrew C. Anderson

There's a bit more involved than changing string sizes. You'll
need to change string lengths too, which in keeping C-4 at
standard pitch, will put the new bridge well into the plate at
the top end. So you'll be making a new plate too, with new
soundboard and rib scale, new bridges, and a new string scale.
It might get a little expensive.

Come to think of it, you'll likely put the the bass bridge
right up against the middle of the tenor bridge too, which
might not work too well.

Ron N