[CAUT] 1/4 tone piano conversion

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Mon Dec 3 10:36:50 MST 2007

Yep, as Ron says, a new and differently designed bridge would be
needed. I don't think a new plate would be absolutely necessary, but
you'd sure have to do a big modification. You would need the top note
(C8) to be two octaves lower than it is (tuned to C6), so you'd need
close to 4x the speaking length. Might be possible to cut away some
plate and add a hitchpin rail lower down. You would probably do away
with cross stringing, and have it be straight strung, so no need for a
separate bass bridge, but you'd need to attach a new hitchpin rail
there as well.
	Sauter did a series of odd pianos in the 30's, including 1/8 and 1/16
tone, for a world expo, especially for the works of a particular
Mexican composer whose name escapes me at the moment. They showed the
1/16 tone at a couple PTG conventions - one octave total over 96
notes. It has a bridge that slopes very, very gradually, staying in
the upper range of the board. 1/4 tone would be less extreme,
obviously, but you can't just change wire sizes on a standard piano
and manage to tune that way. You'd be raising or lowering pitch one to
two octaves at the extremes. Just not physically possible. A big
project. Sauter might be willing and able to give you some specs that
could be used as advice, a starting point.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu