[CAUT] improved duplex (mystery solved)

Cramer, Mark Cramer at BrandonU.CA
Sun Dec 16 10:47:49 MST 2007

 What I do care about
are the extraneous whistles and squawks they too often produce
to be called a feature. So given the owner's permission with a
rebuild, I shorten and effectively de-tune all the front
duplex segments, and all the duplex hassles magically go away.

Ron N

Ron,
I notice you've effectively dampened the "whistle factor" by neglecting to blacken the raised plate-lettering, and failing to underscore it with the equally decorative (whistle-worthy) graphite on the bridge cap. ;>)

However, I fear you may raise the "squawk" level with the maxi-just hitch-pins and plate-pleaser rim bolts. :>)

Meanwhile, your front duplex will have the Euro-makers in an over-steer induced, compass-needle-bending, four wheel-drift... "is zis not vhat ve hav been do-ingck all along!?"

BTW, any photos of your more recent laminated bridge cap?

thanks,
Mark Cramer,
Brandon University

PS I notice the understring felt in the front length. The current Baldwin de-tuned capo (last 20 years or so)(no felt or braid) generates the most inharmonic hoots and whistles of any instrument I know of, yet damping the front-length (tween tuning-pin and foremost termination) doesn't do much to clean this up.

My favourite is the wonderful "bowing" sounds while tuning, as strings render across the hardened duplex peices. Add this to the strumming of some over-worn horizontally-grained damper felt, and you've got all the makings of a commissioned new-music work.

The one-peice termination strip (like yours) however, as I've encountered in various Euro pianos, Knabe and others, are typically quiet.