[CAUT] mystery solved

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Dec 17 11:19:32 MST 2007

It depends on the plate angle.  On some you don't really need to, the force
of the string will bear pretty much straight down on the half round/oval at
90 degrees to the plate.  On others it will bearing will be slightly offset
and then pinning is necessary.  When I add a brass half round or oval to the
tenor section on most Steinways the angle seems just about right and I just
tack the brass with some 5 minute epoxy.  Similarly, the treble sections
don't seem to cause that much problem, especially if you are using half
ovals rather than half rounds.  On other pianos, like a couple of Knabes
where I've done this, pinning was definitely necessary.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com