[CAUT] Tuning with right hand vs. Left

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 19 22:31:10 MST 2007

On Dec 19, 2007 8:46 PM, Ted Sambell <edward.sambell at sympatico.ca> wrote:

> In China and Taiwan, every tuner tunes left handed. This was also true in
> Scoland, and may or not be so still. I feel it is irrelevant. What matters
> is whay one does with the tuning pin and string, and however one gets
> there
> is correct if it works.If I go up to a piano and it is beautifully tuned,
> how can I tell? It may have been done by someone standing on their head
> for
> all I know. This sort of theorizing is nonsense. We should concentrate on
> what really matters.
>
> Ted Sambell

If you were a true newbie, a rank beginner, I would probably suggest
sticking with one hand/arm, it wouldn't matter which, until you developed a
touch/feel for the tuning pin/tuning hammer relationship, learned to set a
pin, developed hammer technique, in other words knew HOW to tune. Only then
would I suggest branching out to the other hand/arm which I would then
strongly encourage. I believe in learning to do the basics well before
trying variations. Just a personal belief.

Since you are already an accomplished RPT and how you tune works for you, I
see no reason to change it to fit someone else's mold. Read the posts on the
shoulder problems some of us have and have had and you'll be very glad you
are doing what you're doing!
Mike
--
People who say it can't be done, should not interrupt those of us who are
doing it.
email mike at ifixpianos.com