[CAUT] grand casters

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Thu Feb 1 07:50:49 MST 2007

On Feb 1, 2007, at 8:42 AM, Cy Shuster wrote:

> I don't understand the warning.  Couldn't a shop put as much wear
> on them as a church?  Or are they meant for professionals, and not
> the public?
>
> --Cy--

I think you nailed it.  Wear isn't the issue.  In a shop the
technician is aware of how they might behave.  The public no so
much.  One could get into a legal situation if something bad happened
because of the use of the three wheel trucks, and thus the warning.

We have an early 70's D here with double rubber casters, and I'm
fairly certain another from around the same time at a church I tune
for has them as well.  I assume they were original equipment.
They're still in the Steinway Parts Price list.

There were rubber casters on the SD-10 at my church (I think they
were singles, though).  I warned them about what could happen.  When
one of the caster sockets tore out of the leg, they finally ordered a
truck before somebody got hurt.

I know its a great deal more expensive, but would they not consider
the Grand Transporter?

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina