[CAUT] tuning pins on a Samick

daniel carlton hacicspe at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 08:21:11 MST 2007

 i actually wasn't replacing the pins, just driving the one that were
already there.

*"Why are you driving them so far through the block?
When they go that far, they must be pushing the jack away from the block.*"
i made the mistake of not checking whether they were too long or not.
i had done that two or three times before on other pianos, but the pins were
short enough that they didn't protrude through the bottom of the PB, so i
forgot to check. oops.
**
*Do you have a support between the keybed and the floor?*
yes i did have support between the keybed and the floor...the piano legs.
(SORRY, JUST KIDDING.)
i used my pinblock support, the kind with two pieces of laminated hardwood
two large bolts.
i had a piece of high density fiberboard between the support and the keybed.

*"...you owe your customer a new pinblock as well."*
*"Sorry, but I'd say that this block is a do-over."*

well...crap.

i guess there's really no way to tell if the damage is deeper than the first
lamination.
so it sounds like most everyone's professional opinion is to put in a new
PB?

daniel carlton