[CAUT] Maintenance Forecasting

Geoffrey Arnold welltemperedtuning at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 8 11:31:39 MST 2007

Hello all!

have already contacted some university employed technicians regarding
my dilemma, but I thought I would offer it up here for any further
insights you all might have.

My wife and I just relocated due to
extreme saturation of technicians in our old hometown. We jumped at the
chance to take over an established business from a retiring technician
in a different area, and indeed I have had more work the last 6 months
than the entire 2 previous years spent in a saturated market!
There's
still room to grow but my insides are saying, "Oh! This is what it
feels like to be a working piano technician!" (and its great)
Though
Walla Walla is small (about 50k population) we boast 3 institutes of
higher learning. I was elated to get my foot in the door so soon with
two of these, and have done everything to respect the longstanding
relationships they have had with other tuners in the area. The first
sign of trouble came when the head of the piano department at the
college politely informed me that were I to maintain my prices at their
current level, they would be unable to afford my services. I know for a
fact that my tuning fee is quite similar to the competition in
question, and soon realized they were objecting to a new charge for
"pitch correction" showing up on their invoices. A charge they had not
seen before in decades of service.
had a decision to make. I could stop charging for pitch corrections or
I could provide an additional service discount on all of my work, such
that the average cost of maintenance would be comparable to the
competition. The opinion I hold, and have heard echoed plenty in the
guild, is that pitch corrections are a separate service, extra time and
energy, and should be charged separately. In the field I feel it is
unfair to make one family subsidize another family's neglect by
incorporating pitch corrections into one flat rate for everyone.
In
a spirit of openness I decided to level with the the head of the
department, and so requested a bit of his time. I came loaded with
technical bulletins, pamphlets, journal articles, etc. just in case. It
turns out he is well aware of both what a pitch correction is and why
it is necessary. I was glad to hear that the previous technicians were
performing the task but dismayed to hear they simply charged the same
for a one pass touch up as for a hairy multi-pass job. Colleges are
underfunded enough, and already expect world class service at Wal-Mart
prices, and to hear that a precedent is established for systemic
freebies, gives me pause.
So I got to thinking about the whole
institute of learning environment, vs tuning in the field. It also
set me thinking, from the university's perspective, about a "vendor"
style relationship (involving no contracts or benefits), versus a
salaried employee relationship with their piano service provider.
offer teachers discounts in the hope that they will send me more
business. The concept seems sound. I offer referral discounts to all my
customers to encourage word of mouth. So it seems natural that this
should be extended to a university calling me on a vendor basis. Though
I have no guarantee of future business, I want to keep them happy for
the potential of a reliable work source. But where does one draw the
line at "wholesale" pricing. 50% off field price? 70%? At present I am
simply charging the university as I would a family and then giving a
25% discount off all work done. I'm happy with this arrangement for
now, it allows me to fit into the business model established by the
college.
My problem is when I open up a grand and pull out a dust bunny
2ft long, telling me that piano hasn't been opened up in a good decade
at least. This theory is supported by abysmal regulation (hammertails
seized by backchecks, resulting in stuck keys), deep string grooves on
the hammers etc... While other practicerooms have almost new Kawaii
grands and are in good shape, the others are essentially wasted real
estate for the music department.The students hate them, and avoid them,
so the Kawaiis get played 24/7, accelerating their deterioration, and
the cycle continues.
do everything in my power to let families know, there is no such thing
as just a tuning. I always incorporate some other service into a
service visit and hope to inspire them to learn the joy of a dynamic,
functioning piano. Why should my ethic be different for a university?
From practice room, to classroom/studio, to performance halls, these
pianos are not getting enough attention. The college gives a $4,000
annual budget for 40+ pianos. Considering the performance hall might
get tuned 15-20 times a year, whats left for the rest? They're lucky to
get annual tunings, leave alone regulation or voicing. Yet the college
is a private college, with national recognition, and great pride in
art, architecture, faculty, curriculum. How does one inspire a college
to view their pianos technical health as just as much a hallmark of
prestige as the green hue of the grass in their landscaping?
Assuming
the budget becomes available, can a college attain a year round,
consistent level of performance from their pianos without hiring a
staff technician? Even if it is a part-time position, it seems vital to
me because it gives that technician discretionary authority to make
maintenance decisions, without constant thought of justifying cost, etc.
How can a "vendor" truly tie his/her reputation to a college when only
being paid and given access to pianos episodically?
The head of the
piano department is entirely on my side, has tried to petition for more
funding and the creation of a technician position, with little success.
He is excited to hear that I share his concern for the neglected pianos
and has asked that I put together a more detailed analysis of what a
possible year of maintenance "should" look like. This would give
leverage for bringing our concerns to higher administrative positions.
The
easiest solution is simply to say, give me a salary and I'll figure it
out. If I end up having to work overtime for no additional pay, so be
it. This seems to be the plight of most university technicians that I've
spoken with. But here it seems I need to come up with the budget and
maintenance forecast, before any hope of funds are made available.
I intend to write something up, broken into 1) practice rooms  2)classrooms/studios 3)performance pianos
and
establish a criteria for minimum performance for each category, then
provide an educated guess on how many man hours are required to
maintain a consistent level of performance throughout the year. I own
the field guide for estimating time of various repairs that is
published by the guild. This is a perfect example of an attempt at such time forecasting, but
one can not predict what will be required in any given year. Is there
anyway to support the claims I make, and to keep my estimates grounded
in reality?
1) 4hrs tuning a year per practice room, 1 hr preventative maintenance/discretionary repairs per practice room per year (rolling voicing/regulation)
2) 6 hrs tuning per classroom/studio per year, 1hr...., 1 hr voicing per year, 1 hr regulation
3) 20 hrs tuning per performance piano per year, 5 hrs...., 3hrs..., 3hrs....     ?

Sorry for the length, guess I'm making up for never having posted before, and I've been thinking about this way too much lately.

Thanks so much for your thoughts!

Greg Arnold
www.welltemperedtuning.com

Don't pick lemons.
See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.
http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html