[CAUT] Maintenance Forecasting

Willem Blees wblees at bama.ua.edu
Thu Feb 8 13:45:31 MST 2007

Geof

First of all, welcome to the CAUT list. Congratulation on a successful
move. Good luck in Walla Walla.

Visit the CAUT web site, http://ptg.org/caut.php/, print out the Piano
Maintenance Guidelines, and hand it to the department chairman. That
will give him an idea of what is necessary to maintain the pianos in
his department. Unfortunately, as you indicated, there isn't too much
you can do with $4000 spread out over 40 pianos. Hopefully the school
will give the music department more money. But in the mean time, get
the department chairman involved with the maintenance decisions. Make
a list of all the repairs and regulations that are needed for all the
instrument, with a time and cost factor for each piano. Then ask the
chairman to pick and choose what he wants done.

For now, if you want to keep this account, try to avoid the "pitch
correction" fee, even it does mean spending a little extra time on
each piano without getting paid for it. It will be worth it in the
long run.

Wim
Willem Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician