[CAUT] Greetings . . . and a humidity problem

Carl Root carldroot at comcast.net
Thu Feb 8 19:13:42 MST 2007

I've just finished my first semester of piano service at a local
community college - forty odd pianos.  Things are going fine, but the
purchase of a new Steinway 'B' has raised an interesting issue that
maybe you all can help me solve.  The department head knows of this
post and has indicated he will be guided by your recommendations.

The piano will be stored in a small room (large closet?) with fairly
sophisticated climate control equipment.  It will be rolled out onto
the stage of a small auditorium for performances, but there is some
interest in bringing it out for classes on stage a couple days a week
as well.  Given that the temperature and humidity is all over the
place on stage, I'm concerned about the effects on the piano having
it go back and forth every forty-eight hours or so alternating
between 42% and who knows what.

There is another older rebuild 'B' on stage which is not a teacher
favorite, and they'd like to use the new one as much as possible.

I'm not too keen on this 48-hour cycle and would rather have it used
only for performances.

Comments?  Suggestions?

Carl D. Root, RPT