[CAUT] Smoke damage

Willem Blees wblees at bama.ua.edu
Fri Feb 9 09:23:03 MST 2007

Gene

There are always exceptions. You just happen to get a piano
that "survived" a fire. But I have been at the other end of that
spectrum, too. I have seen pianos where the insurance company only
offered to clean the case and remove the rust from the strings, only
to have the piano suffer major damage years later. As I mentioned in
my post, some of these problems don't show up for 20 - 30 years later.
Even with your piano, up to now it's been fine. But in another 10
years, when the pinblock starts delaminating, you are in a position to
correct it. But a customer would have to pay out of pocket.

I was just trying to give Joel a heads up on this.

Wim

Willem Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
School of Music