[CAUT] Smoke damage

Greg Newell gnewell at ameritech.net
Fri Feb 9 05:43:38 MST 2007

Joel, Wim & list,
         I suggest that you don't immediately jump to conclusions
here. A story,if you will allow;
         A few years ago I had a victim of a house fire contact me
regarding purchasing her piano that had been through a fire. This
person had contacted several other technicians who told her that the
piano would cost upwards of $30k to rebuild and that it simply wasn't
worth it. The fire had been in the basement of the opposite end of
the house, started by a candle making hobby in the basement. The wax
spilled or something and the fire got out of control almost
instantly. The firemen came, put out the fire, and we're lucky enough
to localize their efforts to mostly the one end of the house. Since
there was an abundance of soot and smell the insurance company
considered everything a total loss and paid out big! After the
reconstruction began I got the call asking if I was interested in the
piano. When I went to look I found that really only soot and smell
had reached the area where the piano was. I wasn't too afraid of a
little clean up and perhaps even a re-stringing. The finish, a black
high polish finish, cleaned up very nicely and the insides cleaned up
quite well too with some time and alcohol and Q-tips. The smell went
away on it's own after a year or two and it has been rented out for
special occasions since then to rather high brow events with
absolutely no complaints. Fearing the worst I only paid about $2k for
the piano. BTW, it's a  6 1/2 ' Bosey!!!!
         Think twice about it, eh?

all the best,
Greg Newell