[CAUT] Smoke damage

Willem Blees wblees at bama.ua.edu
Thu Feb 8 15:21:08 MST 2007

Quoting Joel Levine <involumes1 at cox.net>:

> I am in the process of putting together for insurance purposes a
> quote on an older smoke damaged Wurlitzer grand piano.  The fire
> occurred in a new addition, away from the living room where the piano
> is located.  Supposedly the restoration company cleaned up the house
> but a strong smoke smell remains.  There is no visible damage to the
> piano but I suspect there could be possible effects from humidity and
> lack of heat overnight.  Also, at this point it is impossible to
> determine if the smoke smell is imbedded in the piano.  I was
> planning to change the hammers on this piano before this fire
> happened, as it appears someone in the past refinished it and
> repinned it but neglected to change the hammers.  I am also assuming
> the hammers will retain a smoke smell as well as the wood especially
> in the action.
> Any ideas on how to quote this besides carefully?
> Thanks,
> Joel Levine

Joel

Besides the hammers, all felt in the piano, including understring,
key bushing, dampers, etc., will retain that smoke smell, not to
mention the wood itself. The other thing to look for is soot or rust
on the strings. Not where you can see it, and remove it with
steel wool, but at the pressure points, under capo bars, through
agrafs, and on the coils on the pins. If there is any effects of the
fire on the strings, they should be replaced. You need to ask the fire
inspector what temperature was in the room with the piano. Very high
heat will dry out the pin block, and it should be replaced.

The problem with fire damage is that most of the problems resulting
from a fire don't show up until 20 - 30 years later, long after the
claim has been settled. I am working on a Kimball grand right now that
was in a fire 40 years ago. It took this long for the pin block to
totally give out. I just pulled the plate, and there is soot on the
soundboard under the plate.

Unfortunately, unless the owners have replacement value insurance, the
cost of totally rebuilding the piano will be far more than the piano
was worth, or what it will be worth once it has been restored.

You will need to give an appraisal of the piano before the fire, what
the piano will be worth after it has been repaired, and the price of a
comparable new grand piano. Be sure the customer pays you for the
estimate/appraisal.

Willem Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
School of Music