[CAUT] Smoke damage

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Thu Feb 8 17:48:05 MST 2007

Hi Joel.

Four years ago a Baptist church experienced a smaller fire.. A candel
tipped over (on the piano) on Easter Sunday!!  The fire really did nothing
to the piano, but the fire extinguisher made a mess of things. Fortunately
their insurance covered the major rebuilding of the piano.  New action,
plate refurbish, strings, and I was able to clean the soundboard and
brdges, etc.  No damage to the piano lid suprisingly.  It too needed new
hammers and bass strings at the least, (a Kawai model 650).

For this situation, I would carefully and cautiously expect that other
than soundboard and bridges, the rest of the piano should be rebuilt.... A
lot of cleaning will be involved so you should put that in your estimate.
Smoke goes everywhere!  Make sure to examine the piano again once the heat
has been restored for other damage.  Most of the smoke smell will be in
the action and keybed.  All felts will retain the smell no matter what you
do. (dampers and damper action too!)  Since the insurance co is covering
it, charge what you would normally charge including the several trips to
check things out, and, unless it comes to replacement cost, you should be
fine.  Otherwise, help them out finding a good replacement piano and
charge for your help!!  Being a wurlitzer, perhaps replacement may be a
smarter call....

I hope this helps.

Paul

"Joel Levine" <involumes1 at cox.net>
Sent by: caut-bounces at ptg.org
02/08/2007 02:50 PM
Please respond to
College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>

<caut at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
[CAUT] Smoke damage

I am in the process of putting together for insurance purposes a quote on
an older smoke damaged Wurlitzer grand piano.  The fire occurred in a new
addition, away from the living room where the piano is located. Supposedly
the restoration company cleaned up the house but a strong smoke smell
remains.  There is no visible damage to the piano but I suspect there
could be possible effects from humidity and lack of heat overnight.  Also,
at this point it is impossible to determine if the smoke smell is imbedded
in the piano.  I was planning to change the hammers on this piano before
this fire happened, as it appears someone in the past refinished it and
repinned it but neglected to change the hammers.  I am also assuming the
hammers will retain a smoke smell as well as the wood especially in the
action.
Any ideas on how to quote this besides carefully?
Thanks,
Joel Levine