[CAUT] Smoke damage

Joel Levine involumes1 at cox.net
Thu Feb 8 13:50:23 MST 2007

I am in the process of putting together for insurance purposes a quote on an older smoke damaged Wurlitzer grand piano.  The fire occurred in a new addition, away from the living room where the piano is located.  Supposedly the restoration company cleaned up the house but a strong smoke smell remains.  There is no visible damage to the piano but I suspect there could be possible effects from humidity and lack of heat overnight.  Also, at this point it is impossible to determine if the smoke smell is imbedded in the piano.  I was planning to change the hammers on this piano before this fire happened, as it appears someone in the past refinished it and repinned it but neglected to change the hammers.  I am also assuming the hammers will retain a smoke smell as well as the wood especially in the action.
Any ideas on how to quote this besides carefully?
Thanks,
Joel Levine