[CAUT] New Upright Pianos

Barbara Richmond piano57 at insightbb.com
Sat Feb 10 07:30:37 MST 2007

Greetings all:

While we're on the subject, a friend asked me to compare Yamaha U-3s with
Steinway URs.  Uh, I don't even know what a Steinway UR is, just that I
usually try to avoid Steinway uprights in general (but maybe they've
improved lately!).  The argument against the Yamahas (given by the Steinway
dealer) is the Steinways will last a lot longer.   These pianos would be
used in a university, but I'm not sure if they are for practice rooms or
studios.  Anyway, I think it's hard to beat Yamaha in consistency and I
wonder (and what I would be concerned about is) what the condition the
Steinway hammers are in regarding lacquering--and then there are those
center pin bushings...

Thanks,

Barbara Richmond, RPT
near Peoria, Illinois