[CAUT] Paid for Pitch Raises?

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Mon Feb 12 08:05:42 MST 2007

Hi Daniel,

When I started out in this business, I worked for several stores doing
floor tunings as well as warranty work.  They never hesitated to pay "a
little extra" for pitch raising on medium or better instruments.  On the
old junkers, they only did anything at all if it was sold.  Some didn't
even get that and were sold "as is".  Education of piano care with
managers rarely goes farther than throwing a Bush and Lane upright player!
 Stores will only spend what is absolutely needed to sell the instrument!
Be careful, however, how much "a little extra" is, or they will move on to
the cheaper technician, no matter how good a technician you are, or how
awful the other "tooner" is.

Store work is an excellent source for new clients, so weighing the cost of
charging "a little extra" is the opportunity cost  of new clientele you
will gain or lose. Advise: always wear kid gloves in dealing financial
matters with stores. More money now could cost more losses in the future.

I hope this helps.

Paul

"daniel carlton" <hacicspe at gmail.com>
Sent by: caut-bounces at ptg.org
02/11/2007 10:21 PM
Please respond to
College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>

"college and university technicians" <caut at ptg.org>, "pianotech mailing
list" <pianotech at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
[CAUT] Paid for Pitch Raises?

Hi

I tune for a couple of dealers where I live, and when I started, they both
told me that they've never paid any technicians for pitch raises. One of
the managers told me to go ahead and charge accordingly when I had to pull
a piano to pitch that was a half step or more either direction. But I'm
wondering if dealers in other areas pay for "routine," pitch raises of,
say, less than a half step.

The owner of one of the stores explained that they don't want to have to
spend more money than they have to on the used pianos in particular if
they can only sell it for so much. I guess I do see the logic in that, but
what about all the pitch corrections I have to do on the new pianos? I
don't get anything for my time.

I just can't stand leaving a piano off-pitch unless it's just absolutely
not worth it.

Any comments?

Daniel Carlton