[CAUT] Paid for Pitch Raises?

Willem Blees wblees at bama.ua.edu
Mon Feb 12 09:28:13 MST 2007

Quoting daniel carlton <hacicspe at gmail.com>:

> Hi
>
> I tune for a couple of dealers where I live, and when I started, they
> both
> told me that they've never paid any technicians for pitch raises. One
> of the
> managers told me to go ahead and charge accordingly when I had to
> pull a
> piano to pitch that was a half step or more either direction. But
> I'm
> wondering if dealers in other areas pay for "routine," pitch raises
> of, say,
> less than a half step.
>
> The owner of one of the stores explained that they don't want to have
> spend more money than they have to on the used pianos in particular
> if they
> can only sell it for so much. I guess I do see the logic in that, but
> what
> about all the pitch corrections I have to do on the new pianos? I
> don't get
> anything for my time.
>
> I just can't stand leaving a piano off-pitch unless it's just
> *absolutely*not worth it.
>
> Any comments?
>
> Daniel Carlton

Daniel

My dealer pays me for pitch raises when they are over 30 - 35 cents
low. On used piano, he pays me for anything I need to do to make the
piano ready. We do discuss it ahead of tiume, so he has an idea of
what to expect. We've even decided to throw away some pianos that were
beyond hope.

The same for new pianos. He and I have a pretty good relationship, in
that he trusts me to do to the piano what is needed, without ripping
him off.

Willem Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
School of Music