[CAUT] Bechstein bass strings

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Thu Feb 22 14:10:56 MST 2007

Along the same lines as Wim's broken bass string, I have a C
Bechstein model E concert grand that is out to get me.  Pierce says
made in 1975.  The owner has credible information from Bechstein it
was "gebaut June 11, 1978" (or something like that).  He bought it in
about 1983 in Germany (his home) and brought it here to the US when
he retired.  It has a D/C dehumidifier only system installed.  Was
installed before they moved here.

Last tuning was in June.  C4 broke at where the string leaves the
coil.  Previous experience with a single bass splice on a different
Bechstein resulted in a ripped BLUE understring cloth and a broken
splice, so I took myself out of the Bechstein bass string splicing
business.  I sent the old string for duplication and replaced it.

Most recent tuning, this week.  D6 broke, same place.  Someone before
me had also replaced a single bass.  I've been tuning this piano
since they moved to town 4 or 5 years ago and these are the first
broken strings with me.

I gently drop the tension ever so slightly to hear the "ping", and
begin to raise it, and BLAM!  Was raising pitch maybe 4 cents?  It is
getting unnerving to tune this piano.  The bass strings just have
that "feel" like they could go at any time.

Is this a Bechstein scale problem?  Bad wire?  Maybe its gone through
a lot of pitch fluctuation in the past and just weakened the wire
there?  (The other Bechstein I service fluctuates pitch a LOT, but is
much older)

Customer wants to know what's going on.  This just doesn't happen
with other pianos of that age and older, so I'm not sure I can get
away with "the strings are getting old".

Appreciate  your thoughts,
Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina