[CAUT] unusual repair

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Fri Feb 23 13:51:29 MST 2007

On Feb 23, 2007, at 2:34 PM, Willem Blees wrote:

>> Isn't that a lot like saying, "I haven't had a fire since I moved
>> here, so I
>> see no need for a local fire station?"
>
> We have 4 D's in the school. One piano is 4 years old, I've replaced
> one set three years ago, and another was rebuilt about 10 years ago.
> The "old" Steinway is 30 years old, with original strings, and the
> only reason one broke is because I replace the tuning pin. If there
> was a constant need, even once a year, to replace one or more strings
> on these pianos, I could see having a replacement set around. It's not
> the same as "I've hadn't needed one for ever...", as we do have a back
> up piano for the concert hall.

I'll play devil's advocate.

The concept of insurance is to invest a little money into a pool to
cover the risk of a larger financial loss, in these examples, fire or
one broken string.  That way, you don't have to save enough money to
rebuild your house if something happens.  You don't build a firehouse
for one house, you build it for a community.  Having spare strings
around is insurance.  But paying for full sets for every model is
like building a firehouse for every house.

We have a set of strings for a D here under the cabinet.  I
understand they've been here since the mid 1970's.  My predecessor
used two out of it, just because they happened to be here.
Otherwise, he usually just substituted universals on other pianos.
But in over 30 years, we've needed to use two strings out of that set
under the cabinet for any of our 4 Ds.  That set is now up to $195.
That's pretty expensive insurance for one broken string if you ask me.

I know universals are awful.  But they aren't intended for long term
replacement and they're a lot less expensive to keep around for
emergency situations than full sets for every piano in the
inventory.  That's what they're for.  Then you order the string you
need fresh.  It will be here in two or three days.  Everything will
be fine.

Insurance.

I guess when you aren't accustomed to having much budget to work
with, you learn to spend it more frugally.

Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina