[CAUT] unusual repair

Thomas Seay t.seay at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Feb 23 16:03:31 MST 2007

>I know universals are awful.  But they aren't intended for long term
>replacement and they're a lot less expensive to keep around for
>emergency situations than full sets for every piano in the
>inventory.  That's what they're for.  Then you order the string you
>need fresh.  It will be here in two or three days.  Everything will
>be fine.

Well, fine is certainly in the "ear" of the beholder.

Suppose a string broke the day of a recital on your main concert
piano? Would you put an "awful" (your adjective) sounding universal
string on an otherwise meticulously prepared instrument and expect
someone to play an important solo piano recital with it? Yikes!

BTW, ordering bass strings one at a time is not cost effective. Call
Mapes sometime and ask them how much it costs for them to send you 1
single bass string and then do the math. It doesn't take very many
single replacement strings before you've paid for a complete set.

Tom
Devil's Advocate #2 >:-}
--
Tom Seay, RPT