[CAUT] Spare bass string set - was unusual repair

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Mon Feb 26 09:41:16 MST 2007

On Feb 23, 2007, at 6:03 PM, Thomas Seay wrote:

> Suppose a string broke the day of a recital on your main concert
> piano?

Suppose I won the Powerball jackpot with a single one dollar ticket
or got struck by lightening.  You deal with what comes as it comes
along.

> Would you put an "awful" (your adjective) sounding universal string
> on an otherwise meticulously prepared instrument and expect someone
> to play an important solo piano recital with it? Yikes!

The S series strings are much better than the small set, and chances
are, you are the only one who will hear a difference.  IF you can
splice it, do that first.  But you do what you have to do.  When you
have to be extremely frugal with budget money, it just doesn't make
sense to have this set of strings sitting under the cabinet just in
case you win the lottery.  You could be restringing a piano that
needs it instead.

Also, universals don't stretch nearly as much as new custom made
strings.  A universal will be more stable for the concert.  So,
"awful" sounding would definitely not matter if it won't hold tune.

> BTW, ordering bass strings one at a time is not cost effective.
> Call Mapes sometime and ask them how much it costs for them to send
> you 1 single bass string and then do the math. It doesn't take very
> many single replacement strings before you've paid for a complete set.

Completely disagree.  You're not buying a full set one by one.  2
strings replaced on 4 concert pianos over 30 years is much cheaper
than a full set sitting there rotting taking up space in a cabinet.
Besides, when you use that one string to keep your set complete, you
really need to order a replacement for it, no?  Comes out the same,
except you've got $200 worth of strings sitting there in case
lightening strikes.

Jeff
defending my devil's advocacy

Jeff Tanner, RPT